Thursday, September 4, 2008

On Peers...

I don't expect to find many peers at university. I feel as if I and most of the other students are from different worlds. As I told Professor Geary, age doesn't really matter to me, only relative experience. Yes, there are ordeals that every human being faces, things that can link us when all else fails to connect. We have each experienced pain of some sort. We have, each of us, people we care about. We each must find some purpose, some reason to perpetuate existence. Still, it's hard....

Classes yesterday:

ENG1010

Geary talks about rhetoric. Rhetoric, she tells us, is the art of using words to influence actions, behaviors, emotions, etc. She says, "By your choice of rhetoric, you have powers for good and powers for evil." She widens her eyes significantly. "Always use your powers for good." She tells us that we are all masters of rhetoric. Geary speaks of the film Wall.E and tells us to go see it. She calls herself a hopeless romantic. She gets the goosebumps when quoting Martin Luther King, Jr., running her hands along her arms and closing her eyes while she smiles.

Geary quotes:
"We are the disenfranchised proletariat and they are the Bourgeois bookstore."

"Anyway, this has a point... tangential thinking..."


"We don't traffic in stereotypes in this class."


"Bear with me, these are the only jokes that I know that are not allusions to literature that sail over most people's heads."


"I can say some pretty cool things that amaze even me."


"I remember as a child, playing with candles and blow torches and learning what superheated plastic can do... to people..."


"A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle," whispering, "it's not necessary."

After English, I visit with Geary in her new office. I help her hang artwork and we sit and talk about film, literature and the significance of pop culture. I find out that she is a tap dancer as well. When she talks briefly about tap, I feel once again the need to find and contact a new instructor. Since my last tap class finished at the end of June, I've missed the dance floor. We talk about my school anxiety. "I think the hardest part for you will be entering orbit," she says. "After that, things will get easier." That's nice to know.


HLTH1100

Sorenson does a comparative study for us, showing us the leading causes of death in the U.S. in 2003 and then showing us the leading causes of death in mid-1600s London. It was quite interesting to see the difference between the two. Some of the most interesting fatalities on the London list: Frighted. Grief. Hanged and made away themselves. Griping in the guts.

After Health, I sit on one of the many lawns outside and study the psychology text. I don't want to get behind. It is a beautiful day, mild and sunny. The grass is amazing. It feels like an entity. I make a photo of the tree above me with my camera phone, the sun creating a lens flare that wraps the foliage in a halo.

In the evening, my sweetie takes me to a concert by The Quinn Brothers on campus. The Quinn Brothers, discovered at the ComedySportz Improv down the street from my house, specialize in the combination of music and comedy. The show is opened by a stand-up comedian who has us laughing with his wry observations on life, his turn of phrase. He talks about a film shoot he was recently involved in, describing the Great Salt Lake thus:

"It's a place with no outlets, you know? Only inlets. The water comes in and heats up and festers and percolates and it's like, "What? This is my job. I'm percolating." You drive out there and roll down your window and it's like... Ah, a little piece of Hades. The air in your face is like a demon throwing a belch; a belch after downing a platter of horse bones and following it with a chalice of the tears of orphans."

He describes Utah drivers and confesses that he is guilty of 'blanket hate'.

The Quinn Brothers are a revelation, every song is a fantastic piece of comedic musicianship. The humor is relatively clean and very clever. We laugh, sometimes a bit uncontrollably and the moment is one I wish I could bottle and keep in a safe place forever. This live show doubles as a DVD filming, so perhaps keeping it isn't completely unrealistic.

Psychology tomorrow and back to drawing class.

No comments: