Friday, September 12, 2008

On Piano...

Played a bit of piano after school yesterday. Psychology in the morning and then drawing in the evening. In the interim, went to my grandparents' house and did some laundry and played piano. Currently working on a piece by Debussey. I always seem to forget how much I love piano until I have a chance to sit down at one again. I once dated a guy for a couple of weeks who had a twelve-foot concert grand in the foyer of his inordinately large house. I wanted to continue the relationship with him, just to be close to his piano, but it seemed a bit unethical. Guitar is nice, because it's relatively easy to learn many songs once you master a few basic chords, but it isn't as fulfilling as piano. I wish I had a full keyboard in my apartment, although I wouldn't know where to put it, so it's guitar for now.

Psychology was somewhat tedious. Cantrell talked about synaptic response, the nervous system, parts of the brain. After a while, all I could hear was an inarticulate babble, like the teacher on Charlie Brown, "Whaah wah wah waaah..." I tried to take notes, but I really couldn't understand a word he was saying. I could feel myself starting to float away. So I spent half of the class period looking up disorders. It's interesting to me how general the information is, but I suppose that's only natural, considering the level of the course.


ART 1100

Shepherd has a still life set up: a cow's skull, a conch that grew on a tree in Alaska (looks like a giant mushroom without the stem) and a couple of flowers. The guy is sitting next to me again and we chat while we attempt to layout the drawing. We both erase several times and finally I tell him, "Okay, we're just going to do it. One two three DRAW." We start drawing and don't stop this time. The still life is just a contour line drawing. The skull is interesting and when Shepherd comes around to grade and critique, she says, "Good work, girl!" and "Do you like it?" I tell her no.


She says, "Do you like part of it?" I circle a two-inch area with my eraser and she laughs. "Don't worry," she says. "It will get better. You're a good artist."

Meh.

I have a lot of writing to do. Since school started, I don't really look forward to the weekends like I used to. Work seems less appealing when I go into the weekend tired and needing to do homework. Still have thumbnail sketches to do for Art1400 tonight.

No comments: