Friday, October 24, 2008

On Losing Time...

No entry in a couple of weeks, so I'll just post the highlights.

ENG1010

Worked on a summary/strong response paper the past couple of weeks. All of the articles we'd been reading for class, about how modern technology is changing us, were reminiscent of so many things I've pondered over the years... since I was a little girl even, reading R is for Rocket and 1984. I used Pixar's film Wall.E to connect what I'd been studying to my observations of what's happening to us as a human race. To prepare for writing my paper, I went with my sweetie to see the film again, sitting in the darkened theater and freewriting blindly for forty-five minutes. I've decided that I like writing movie reviews. I'm sure they have a film analysis class here at UVU. It might be an interesting subject to look into.

Some of Geary's more memorable quotes the last few weeks:

"When you feel like you're in a bind, call on the three Musketeers: Logos, Ethos, Pathos! Come save me!"

"I'm kind of promiscuous when it comes to thesis statements. I write a thesis statement and then get attracted and stray to other thesis statements...."

"I'm gonna use some sexy adjectives here, so be prepared."


Hlth1100

We had a speaker come in and talk to us about depression and suicide prevention. It was the same as one of the trainings I received for work, and something I will probably have to recertify in before December. She talked about Abraham Lincoln. My notes during her lecture:

"She talks about Lincoln. She says, "I don't know if you're aware, Abraham Lincoln suffered from depression most of his life. Back then, they called it melancholy. In fact, for a year, his friends and associates wouldn't let him be alone. They did a sort of buddy system, not letting him be alone, removing all the knives and weapons from his house. They offered the support he needed."

Another time, I had to be part of a Q&A panel, along with five other people, where the rest of the class asked us questions about pregnancy and childbirth. Joy.


Psych1010

Cantrell gets off of topic so easily. And then to add to the fun of disjointed lectures, he'll repeat an anecdote illustrating point that he shared in a previous class period. We have another exam coming up. I've been pretty familiar with the information we've covered in the last couple of chapters, just due to my own study of these subjects over the years: sleep, memory, etc. I feel frequently frustrated in this class because we waste so much time. I will at times keep track of just how long we've been discussing a certain topic, especially one that has NO application to what we'll be tested on. For example: we were talking about memory and the phenomenon that adults don't typically remember anything before the age of three. FOUR people raised their hands and talked about their three year olds, stating that the kid could remember all sorts of things, from up to a year before and how it contradicted the point that Cantrell was making. I'm sorry, but did I miss where these toddlers had developed into adults and lost their formative memories? Twenty freakin' minutes. Yeah, that's right. Twenty minutes on people talking about how amazing, precocious and unique their three year-olds were. *sigh*


Art1110


Both Shepherd and JD tell me I'm good. Maybe I just need to hear once in a while that it's worth it for me to stick it out.


Art1400

Haven't been to this class in a couple of weeks, considering fall break. Currently doing Photoshop. I have been completing my homework at home, so haven't been using lab time. There is a project though, that I need to turn in thumbnails for tonight. Maybe I should work on those....


The leaves are changing. The days are turning crisp. I wore my scarf to school today.

I watched Stranger Than Fiction last night and this morning:

"Sometimes, when we lose ourselves in fear and despair, in routine and constancy, in hopelessness and tragedy, we can thank God for Bavarian sugar cookies. And, fortunately, when there aren't any cookies, we can still find reassurance in a familiar hand on our skin, or a kind and loving gesture, or subtle encouragement, or a loving embrace, or an offer of comfort, not to mention hospital gurneys and nose plugs, an uneaten Danish, soft-spoken secrets, and Fender Stratocasters, and maybe the occasional piece of fiction. And we must remember that all these things, the nuances, the anomalies, the subtleties, which we assume only accessorize our days, are effective for a much larger and nobler cause. They are here to save our lives. I know the idea seems strange, but I also know that it just so happens to be true."

No comments: