Sunday, November 7, 2010

On Being Average...



I got average scores on recent assignments in Illustrative Media Tech and Drawing for Illustration. Average means "C". Yeah, I got "C"s. Kenna got average scores also. This was a revelation to us. Being average. It caused a sort of existential crisis. I started laughing when Kenna started laughing after she saw the face I made when I realized and said out loud, "We're average." I laughed. But there were tears coming out of my eyes too. And Kenna looked a little wild-eyed as well. Here are the two C's:


Zombie Self-Portrait in watercolor



"Black Sabbath" - cuz she's going to church.

Stewart didn't get average grades. He got two professional grades and an above-average grade. That's because he's above-average and mostly professional.

Later during that class but out in the hall where we were drawing, Stewart said, "I'm gonna make a noise..." and then he said he wasn't going to, but we all begged him to and told him we wouldn't laugh at him, just at the noise if it was funny and how he shouldn't be nervous or ashamed of making a noise in front of us and so he said, "Okay, this is a noise from Return of the King and it happens when something dies and you have to guess what it is." Then he wouldn't do it, because he was laughing, or we were, and it was just this amazing above-average experience. Finally after half an hour, Stewart made the noise. We all held our breaths in anticipation and it didn't sound anything like any of us thought it would and I will be telling this story for years to come.

Also at that time in the hall during class, Tyler encouraged each of us to say the same sentence in a different language. We went around the table and each said, "She's dead. Very sad." Tyler in Russian, Kenna in German, Kim in ASL, Stewart in Japanese (his was the best, you should HEAR Stoo speak Japanese, it's like something out of a black-and-white samurai film) and me in Spanish. I said, "Esta muerta. Muy triste." Then Ty said, "No bueno." And we all cracked up.

I called my mom that night and she assured me I was awesome. "I was just thinking about how awesome you are," she said when she picked up the phone.

I have been working on watercolors today. I like watercolors. A lot. I'm soooo so so so glad to be done with oils. Blergh.

Maybe I'll try to reinstall PSCS3 on my pc so that I can start to post photos again. It's just so hard talking to people in India trying to resolve issues with software.

No comments: