Tuesday, January 11, 2011

On Will Terry...

... my new Illustrative Media Techniques II instructor. Okay, Will is a gansta too. Check out his RAD work: www.WillTerry.com

I am really looking forward to working with him and learning everything I can. He has assigned us sixty paintings due throughout the semester. We will do thirty in class and thirty at home. When he assigned our palette for painting he said, "Be sure to get Ivory Black, not Mars Black. Mars Black is the devil." We all laughed. He said, "Seriously, it's like EVIL. It's totally uncontrollable. Trust me." Okay, we like Will. Plus he paints seriously CUTE stuff and seriously ugly stuff.

I bought ten pieces of illustration board at The Artist's Corner, size 5x7. I got the thickest I could find. Something that would hold up against the water and what I ended up with was so crazy hot press that it was like plastic. Maybe it WAS plastic. I don't even know. But it was like painting on plastic. For sure. My color wheel looked like something my six year old would paint. No blending at all. And no fibers for the paint to soak into. Weird. I will gesso the next boards. Maybe that will help.

I feel so privileged to work with such accomplished and skilled professors. Thanks UVU! What great opportunities I have had so far in my illustration career there.

No comments: