Monday, September 5, 2011

On Really Being There...

For a while I had a hard time being there. Being here. In my life. I was so caught up in the past, or worried about the future, that I couldn't be in the present. I have learned how to be in the present, but sometimes I still struggle with it.

Thursday, September 1st

ARTH2780 -

I come ready to take a quiz. Perry doesn't end up giving one. Instead we meet in a new classroom, with desks enough for all of us. We have an introductory lecture, about the origins of art, the importance of art and the Dark Ages.


Again, I'm really angry at the Holy Roman Church for making that happen. Great job, guys, for plunging us into an age of ignorance and such. Took about a thousand years for us to recover from it.

I don't have my peeps surrounding me in this class. But there's Ginny :) and Ty, along with Adam Munoa and Nate Call, both of whom I enjoy.

ART328R -


I come prepared to paint, with my paint box. Complete with cup holders. You know the one, you've seen me carrying it around. Denise always makes fun of me. But it has CUP HOLDERS. I'm going to take pictures of it one day and post them here so you can all laugh at me. But how many of you have cup holders on your paint boxes, huh? None, I bet. Ha.

We are doing a wipe-out with burnt or raw umber. I only have burnt umber. As I feel burnt and raw umber are virtually the same, I never bought raw. Sorry Don! ;) All we need are an umber, rags and turpentine or some medium. I like doing wipe-outs. I learned them in Don's Illustrative media tech class. Of course, we did a saber tooth cat skull or something. This is a head. Oh. A HUMAN head. ;)

We are supposed to toning our grounds. I take a long time to set up. We are supposed to start wiping, I am toning my ground. People are starting to use paintbrushes. I start wiping. I'm thinking, as I do in every art class: They're going to find out. They're going to know. I'm an imposter. A spy from the English department. "You're not an artist," they'll say. "You're a writer. Get back down to LA." Of course, I always think the same thing in English classes: They'll figure it out. They're going to know I'm not a writer.

Practice practice practice. That's what it takes to stay in the present. Finally I start painting (wiping out). I block in the main shapes, save details for later. Amy comes by: "The forehead is a little to far forward." Which I knew, but it's good to be reminded of what needs changing. After that, I get no feedback from her other than, "Looks good."

Here is the result:


You can see Denise's behind mine. I liked hers too. So this turned out better than I thought it would. I wasn't expecting it to turn out looking anything like the model. Or a human head for that matter. But it's kind of soft, with a nice sense of serenity. This model was Sabrina. She had a nice face.

Maybe I AM an artist... ?

Thus ends the first week of classes!

1 comment:

Ginny at the ARTS said...

I'm about to prove you are an artist. Ready? Set... here go!

art·ist   [ahr-tist] Show IPA
noun
1. a person who produces works in any of the arts that are primarily subject to aesthetic criteria.
2. a person who practices one of the fine arts, especially a painter or sculptor.
3. a person whose trade or profession requires a knowledge of design, drawing, painting, etc.: a commercial artist.
4. a person who works in one of the performing arts, as an actor, musician, or singer; a public performer: a mime artist; an artist of the dance.
5. a person whose work exhibits exceptional skill.
6. a person who is expert at trickery or deceit: He's an artist with cards.
7. Obsolete . an artisan.

Seeeeee? Even if you are an "imposter" according to definition number 6 you are totally still an artist! Haha, but seriously, you are a REAL artist. Your work has some serious skill. You know design. You pay attention. You practice your skill.

A singer doesn't have to sing ALL the notes perfectly well to still be a singer. A singer doesn't have to be good at classical, broadway, country, AND jazz styles to be a singer. Each "artist" usually has their specific area and trade of art they are good at. You don't have to hit all the techniques and styles perfect to still be an artist. Remember your amazing dawgs!!! And your watercolor! And your acrylic! And your drawings of the cute grandparents! And your awesome little octopus! And your photography! And your expressive sketches from your life! Etc etc etc. Silly girl. You're an artist!!