Monday, September 5, 2011

On A New School Year...

Monday 8/29, first day of school.

8am to 11am - ART2260 - Digital Painting for Illustration

Peter Sakievich is teaching this class. I had Peter for rendering the human head. He is a very good artist. See here. Actually, if you follow this link, you will have access to a seemingly unlimited amount of information and resources and you can follow along with the class.

On the first day, he taught us how to download Corel Painter, told us which tablet we needed and went over his class policies. The thing I like about Peter is that he knows his business. He's very good at what he does and very professional as well.

While I find the Corel Painter program quite intimidating -- there's such a wealth of options with this tool, it seems impossible to learn them all -- I am looking forward to gaining some proficiency with it. When I first owned (borrowed then owned) a Wacom Intuos 2 tablet, I did a lot of digital drawing with it and enjoyed it very much. Then it broke (maybe just the pen broke, I don't know), and my life fell apart for a while and I got out of the habit of digital drawing/painting. When I lost PS3, it got even worse. Then I didn't even have a program to use for digital painting! Now, I have Corel Painter 12 and a Wacom Intuos 4 on the way. We'll see how it goes!

5pm - 8pm - ART324R - Children's Book Illustration

Will Terry is teaching this class. You all know how much I think of Will Terry. He's very personable, as well as a very good teacher. You can see his work here. He's become a mentor for me and I feel very privileged to work with him.

We will have five projects due, creating fully rendered illustrations for specific subjects or passages. I'm excited. I haven't done much art this summer, except for business, and I'm looking forward to getting back into the more creative stuff.

No comments: