Thursday, October 27, 2011

On Semester Long Projects...

A while back, I rendered a semester-long pose of the model in Patrick Devonas' class. It was nice to be able to take a piece as absolutely far as my abilities would let me. We don't have that luxury this semester.

So in Digital Painting for Illustration, we are to create four portfolio pieces based on a story of our choosing. I chose The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum. I love this book and its fantastic imagery. So here's my vision: Dorothy, a young girl living on a colony ship en route to a newly terraformed planet. She gets sucked out of the ship by a wormhole to an alien planet where she has a series of adventures before she can return to her family.

Here's the first painting. This is in the series of moments after they've met the lion and gained a new companion. The trees are burned, since they are travelling through a landscape until recently ruled by an evil witch. Dorothy has goggles on because she's used to living on a spaceship and the sunlight strains her eyes.

I wanted to create a flat, more traditional look, stylized with black outlines. I wanted to do something with the watercolor effects in Painter, but Peter, being unfamiliar with the tools, couldn't advise me. I really don't know what my style is in digital yet. I have things that I like in other people's work, but I don't know the technique for creating those things yet.

It did poorly in critique. Of course, it didn't meet my expectations either. Maybe I'll try to repaint this ten years from now, when I'm much better at digital painting.

No comments: