Sunday, November 13, 2011

On Oz...


So I really love L. Frank Baum's work. I don't think that I can do it justice with this medium, not yet. I have been able to capture my vision for a reimagining of Oz. You can see it here.

Here is my second painting in the digital painting Oz project. I think it's better than the first one, but Peter didn't say that in critique. He did say it specific others though. And then he said at the end, "For the most part, everyone is improving." Maybe I'm one of those that make up the least part. But I'm probably being too sensitive. It was chosen by the class to go up on the board with the top four paintings. So that's nice. Although it didn't hold a candle to the other pieces.

This scene depicts when the heroes of Oz meet the kalidahs (blood-thirsty tiger-bears) and have to run away. In the book, they have to cross a vast canyon and the kalidahs are behind them. The Scarecrow hatches a plan, the Lion pushes a giant tr

ee so the trunk falls across the crevasse, then they cross. As the kalidahs begin to cross behind them, the Tinman chops the trunk away on their side and the kalidahs fall to their death.

I wanted to create a little different situation with the fallen bridge. The Tinman is buying them time to escape as he faces the kalidahs with his axe. It's a little reminiscent of a later scene, where the Tinman kills forty wolves that are sent to kill them by the Wicked Witch of the West.



2 comments:

Kari said...

I love your vision! And your painting fully deserved to be on the board! I am in the same boat as you with all your painter frustrations. I read your posts and think "uh huh, yep, I completely agree!" except when you knock yourself of course, cause that's just ridiculous. Okay I will stop commenting on all your blog posts now! haha goodnight :)

Lee V Call said...

I LIKE your comments. :)