Thursday, February 16, 2012

On Standoffs...



I love Mexican Standoffs. They are so dramatic and ridiculous. With the music, the body language, the facial expressions. Can they get any better? Or worse... I think I might love Mexican Standoff parodies even more than when they're supposed to be serious. Here are a few of my favorites:



The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly



Reservoir Dogs


The Office




For the second assignment in Ryan Wood's Digital Painting for Illustration 2 class, we were told to create a piece featuring our first character and their arch nemesis or polar opposite. So of course, I decided to do a Mexican Standoff. Of course. And it's steampunk. Which makes it a Steampunk Standoff. Posted here with changes based on Ryan's critique:

So here is the time traveler, meeting his nemesis during a jump through time and space. You can buy prints here. I'd love to hear some caption suggestions on this piece.

Here are some of my favorite nemesis paintings from my classmates:


James Allen - Whiskey Rat
~
~


Kari Larsen - Mermaid vs. Surfer
~
~

Adam Munoa - Fight Club!
~
~

Micah Larsen - Spy vs. Spy
~
~

Nate Call - Dr. H.P. Gatty


No comments: