Monday, March 26, 2012

On Good Fortune...


I collect fortunes from fortune cookies. I have lots of them. I have a bunch in my wallet and Tyler and I started to put them in a jar in our kitchen. I am not really superstitious about anything. But I am a little stitious about fortune cookies. I can't open one until I have finished my food, because it would be bad luck. I save them to if they will come true. Some of them have! I feel fortune cookies have a little bit of magic that we can crack open and carry around with us. How often to we get to have our fortunes foretold?

I hate fortune cookies that have advice and no fortune. Like: "Eat your vegetables." How much of a let-down is that? But here's a ridiculous double standard: my favorite fortune I've gotten from a cookie said, "Love."

So Richard Hull gave us an assignment where we had to illustrate a fortune cookie phrase. I asked him if we could bring our own. He said no way.

So here's the phrase I got: You will make many changes before settling satisfactorily.

Here's what I came up with:

A Haddon Hubbard Sundblom paper doll in modern clothing. And it's kinda autobiographical, except for the fringed vest. Really.

I will make changes based on Richard's critique. But he said, "This is a really stellar, really fantastic idea. You students here at UVU can really think!" And then he said all I needed to do was get my technique up to the level of my ideas. "You're almost there though," he said. "You're really close."

So that's nice.

No comments: