Wednesday, April 18, 2012

On Album Covers...


I've always found album covers fascinating. What image a band will choose to convey the feel of this particular album...

And so the world turns. I took a couple of private art lessons from a guy in my TX ward about five years ago. One of the first assignments he gave me was to design a CD cover. I learned a lot from him in a very short amount of time . . . Mostly things about how I could actually do art as a job (he was an art director at an animation studio in Dallas) and how I had artistic potential as an illustrator. Here is a CD cover assignment I did for him:


It was supposed to be nonobjective and black & white. I did three and this was my favorite one. I was listening to a ton of music at that time (mostly dark stuff). Pretty much constantly. Now I don't listen to music as much. I think I was trying to drown out some aspects of my life, and now my life kind of has its own soundtrack and I like it.

So Ryan Wood assigned us an album cover for our final project this semester. The band needed to be made up, along with the genre of music. The album art needed to fit the genre. I love how creative our class got. Here are my favorites from the class:


Kari Larsen: "Hide and Seek" by Ember, indie female musician EP. I keep trying to tell Kari she's a good artist, and she keeps denying it. Every once in a while, she'll completely blow me away. I adore this piece. I'm going to see if I can finagle a print from her. The line quality in the hair made me go, "Whaaaa -?" Beautiful, elegant work.
~
~


Adam Munoa - "She Ate My Brains" by Zombabilly - Rockabilly/Zombie. I like zombies and I like Adam's depiction of them. Click here for another cool one. This made me laugh. Modeling, hair, texture, humor, all good. Overall, Zombabilly = WIN.
~
~

Frankie Kriegjacado - "Starchild Hoodie" by Pebble Shrine Engineers, 90's alternative rock. I love the line art, I love the nebula reflection in the helmet, I love the palette. Also, I don't know how many of you know this, but I want to be an astronaut when I grow up. This piece was a tiny bit of fantasy fulfillment. So thanks, Frankie!
~
~

Stewart Craig - Self-titled album by Reverie, "sort of a pop rock synth type 80's band". We watched a Prince vid from 1986 to get in the mood for this piece. You don't even need a description of this band to see the sound, do you? Stoo is a wizard with droplets. I'm glad he got to use them.
~
~

Nate Call - "Terra Firma" by Sky Kings, indie folk band that is "awesome." I love the overlay pieces of color making up the hand. And the little branch is great. Nice design to the fingers, very organic. Love it. I'm not sure why, but Nate's art really speaks to me. Good job, especially with the time constraints. (!!)
~
~
And here's mine; comp stage, line art and assignment:

Did the comp on the iPad in ArtRage. I REALLY like the watercolor engine for ArtRage, it just looks so textural and interesting.
Here's the line art for the piece. I really liked how it turned out, so I wanted to share that stage. This is my daughter, Calista.
~
~
Here's the final. Tried to use the digital watercolor engine in Painter 12. There were some issues that I didn't know how to deal with, but I think I will improve with more practice. My band is an indie folk band, "awesome" like Nate's. Band: The Night Watch. Album: Somnambulation.

No comments: