Wednesday, September 26, 2012

On Painting Skills...

I feel that I've been developing them over the past three years.  I mean, seriously, look at this piece.  My first Wacom drawing.  Back in 2006, with a borrowed Wacom 2.


Here's another one.  An original character design based on a short story I was working on.  This is a nymph, or something.

It's pretty simple stuff.  I remember being completely overwhelmed by the possibilities of digital media.  Here's another one, me as a fey goth.  I used to draw this girl a lot.


I like single figures a lot.  That hasn't changed.  

So, there it is.  My rudimentary digital painting skills.  I received some feedback on a painting recently that made me angry, so I painted a lot more on it.  I was like, "I'll show you employment of traditional skills in rendering the human form in this post-modern world!"

Here's the result.  I started with this custom texture, acrylic on cardboard:


Then I worked up a digital comp to show Richard.  I actually like the flat aspect of the arms in this one.


Then I added some details of machinery in the background and shading to the arms.  The arms were originally purple, but Richard said they looked like long underwear, so I changed the color and did a little variation with the red line on the hands.



Then I did some more painting work on the arms.  I really liked this painting when I first started working on it.  But now I'm over it.  Ready to move on to the next one.  But this has steampunk looking cogs and stuff, so it's all good.


What do you think?  But the painting skills have gotten a little better huh? 

ps.  This piece is second in a series of illustrations for a collection of short stories I have written.

No comments: